Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Sometimes Failure is the Best Option

I felt like I should knock on wood as I made the statement, "I'm so excited, I'm going to accomplish my physical summer goal." It was 5:30 am and I was in the car with Tiffany Peterson as we headed toward the Ghost Falls trailhead that would take us on a 12 mile journey to Lone Peak. I've wanted to hike this for years, but felt intimidated. This year was going to be different.


Tiff and I on a campout up Big Cottonwood



This IS NOT Lone Peak, but I wanted you to see a picture of mountains incase you didn't know what they are



I couldn't sleep the night before. I can never sleep when I'm excited about something. All night the elevation and distance of the hike were running through my head as I made comparisons to other hikes (Olympus, Pfeifferhorn, Timpanogos). Seriously, numbers rolled through my brain all night. It also didn't help that the wind was blowing...I can't stand the wind...except for the time I was a passenger on the Santa Maria (sister to Nina and Pinta) crossing the Atlantic.



To be honest, I felt like I should throw the towel in when my alarm went off. No sleep, wind and an already 76 degrees is not a combo platter I want to order. However, you all know I can be extremely stubborn and I was afraid this might be my last chance for the year, since snow was predicted for the following day (prediction correct). I didn't care. I just wanted to accomplish my goal. So off we went.



This is to show how stubborn I can be



And stupid (but a fighter too, yes?)




So when I forgot to clock the distance on the dirt road (supposed to go 2.6 miles) to the trailhead we just weren't sure where to start. Tiffany expressed some concern about getting too late of a start, I of course shrugged it off and thought we should go back and clock the distance....we would only be 40 minutes behind schedule. Tiff is a person that I think understands how I operate....I just need time to come to the right decision...AND I need an insurmountable obstacle in my way. WHich is why I'm positive she prayed that I would have the worst allergy attack I've ever had in my life. It's two days later and my eyes are still swollen shut. The attack was awesome! In three minutes time I was sneezing like crazy, tears streaming down my cheeks, eyes puffing up...and I was driving. I was too dumb to have Tiff drive, because it was only 20 minutes to my place, I didn't know that in minutes I would be blind!



I usually feel really bad when I don't do what I say I'm going to do. Even a good excuse makes me feel like a loser. However, there was NO STINKING WAY I could've done that hike. And now? I'm left wondering if I will accomplish my goal...and if it doesn't happen...it doesn't happen. It was a good lesson for me, sometimes you gotta give, and if you don't, God will blind you.

3 comments:

Kathryn said...

YOU CRACK ME UP!! Great post. Can I do anything for you?

Kassie said...

ha/ha LOL! ROTFL!!
K-I'm never trusting you again (or at least for a few days). YOU HAVE HIKING STICKS AND PARKA'S ON!!! From my perspective, you down-played the magnitude of this hike. I now understand why the stars didn't align for me to join you on this hike... I'm glad God didn't have to blind me to get the point across.
You are stubborn.

Kassie said...

P.S. Kathryn, although I don't know you, I think you should let her suffer a few more days until we're positive she can't just galivant up a mountain.

P.P.S. I was reading some comments on FB reguarding Mt. Timp...one guy said 'It's a 6 hour hike. I reccommend leaving at 2:30a to summit but don't take the Aspen Grove trail. It kicked my butt!" ha/ha