Thursday, February 12, 2009

Valentine Treat



This is my father, Gary Kurt Lassen. Today during my Zumba class (a crazy-latin-dancing-hip-shaking-body-sweating-fiesta at 24 hour fitness) This amazing fella called me and asked if he could take me to lunch for Valentine's Day. What a LOVELY surprise. A Valentine for me? Plus he said we could go to a "nice" lunch like the kind at Market Street. Anyway, Gary knocked on my door and walked in with red gorgeous roses! I haven't been given roses since I took advantage of a guy who liked me when he asked, "What do you want for your birthday?"
I forgot how happy flowers make me feel and halibut. I thought it was a perfect way to spend the lunch hour, what more could I want? And then he offered to chase those well spent calories with frozen yogurt from the Yogurt Stop. Wow. Content. Full.

I don't need alot. I rarely ask for or demand things. I get by with what I have. And I'm satisfied. But on occasion someone teaches me a lesson with their unnecessary demonstration of service and my reaction of love and gratitude surprise me as I realize those "unnecessary" gestures add an element to life that really is necessary!

Dad, you totally made me feel special today. I enjoyed every second we had and I will always remember today. I love you. Thank you! I'm a very lucky daughter.

4 comments:

Dede said...

What a sweet thing to do! Your dad really is a sweet person and I really admire how much he loves you guys...his kids.

virginia said...

I really love this post and I REALLY love Gary. But I don't necessarily agree with the "I rarely ask for or demand things" line : )

Kassie said...

I'm teary...you are soo right. It's a gift to be a person that sees the positive more than the negative, or is satisfied more often than not---it a characteristic that I LOVE in people. The second half, it is those little acts of service/gratitude/time/presents that make life authentic to that person.
What a great dad. It's a job that never ends!
Happy Valentines day Chrissy.

Kathryn said...

Not only do I think your dad is great...I think the picture shows how really sweet your dad is! AHH.